For the past two weeks in Healthy Cooking Club we have been using autumn receipts that bring the flavours of our favourite fall harvested fruits and vegetables together. Here are the two fantastic receipts that were provided by our community nutritionist, Bonnie Leung.
Butternut Squash Soup (Recipe from FNQLHSSC)
Makes 14 x 180ml
1 teaspoon Olive oil
2 slices Ginger
1 cup Onion
2 cloves Garlic
1 tablespoon Curry
4 cups Butternut Squash
2 liters Chicken Broth
A pinch salt and pepper for taste
1) Stir fry ginger, onion, garlic, curry and butternut squash with olive oil in a pot.
2) Add in chicken broth, cover, boil on medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes or until squash becomes soft. (Optional: Mash the squash to make it like a puree).
3) Season with pepper and salt. Serve hot.
Berry Apple Crisp (Recipe from Health Canada)
4 to 5 Apples, cored and cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon Lemon Juices
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 cups Blueberries
½ cup Whole wheat flour
¾ cup Rolled oats
¼ cup Oat or wheat bran
¼ cup Brown sugar
1/3 cup Non-hydrogenated margarine or butter
¼ teaspoon Salt (optional)
¼ teaspoon Nutmeg(optional)
1) Preheat oven to 375F
2) In a lightly greased baking dish combine apple, lemon juice, cinnamon and blueberries.
3) In a mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, rolled oats, oat, brown sugar, butter, salt and nutmeg
4) Pour oat mixture on top of apple mixture
5) Bake at 375oF for 45 minutes or until fruit is tender.